Translate

Sunday 1 April 2018

The Book of Tobit Chapter 4


The Book of Tobit 

Chapter   4



¹ That same day Tobit remembered the money that he had left in trust with Gabael at Rages in Media, ² and he said to himself, "Now I have asked for death. Why do I not call my son Tobias and explain to him about the money before I die?"


(The Book of Tobit Chapter 4 verses 1 to 2)




Oh God, my beloved Father there have been many cases of parents who reveal secrets to their sons and daughters or make them make promises to marry him and not the other, to which the people concerned are bound for life. I pray that we imitate You by not making such demands on others but on giving of self to others up to the last minute of our lives. You kept on giving till your last breath on the cross, where You gave us Your mother and our salvation Amen. 



³ Then he called his son Tobias, and when he came to him he said, "My son, when I die, give me a proper burial. Honor your mother and do not abandon her all the days of her life. Do whatever pleases her, and do not grieve her in anything. 



(The Book of Tobit Chapter 4 verse 3)




Oh God, my Father may we honour our commitments to You as much as we do to our earthly parents and even more. In the New Testament, You left us many guidelines of how our lives on earth are to be Amen.



⁴ Remember her, my son, because she faced many dangers for you while you were in her womb. And when she dies, bury her beside me in the same grave.



(The Book of Tobit Chapter 4 verse 4)



Oh God my beloved Father true love remains forever even after the point of death, Tobit did not wish to be separated from his wife, whom he truly loved. I pray that this genuine love to be found in the marriages of our time Amen. I also pray that we learn to love and respect our mothers, for every newborn is a miracle, especially when considering all those things that can happen in order to prevent the child from being born Amen.



⁵ "Revere the Lord all your days, my son, and refuse to sin or to transgress his commandments. Live uprightly all the days of your life, and do not walk in the ways of wrongdoing; ⁶ for those who act in accordance with truth will prosper in all their activities. To all those who practice righteousness ⁷ give alms from your possessions, and do not let your eye begrudge the gift when you make it. Do not turn your face away from anyone who is poor, and the face of God will not be turned away from you. 



(The Book of Tobit Chapter 4 verses 5 to 7)



Oh God my beloved Father, I thank You for this wise counsel, I pray that You engrave it in my, mind heart and soul so that I will always remember them and never turn away from anyone who is in need. Amen. 


⁸ If you have many possessions, make your gift from them in proportion; if few, do not be afraid to give according to the little you have.





(The Book of Tobit Chapter 4 verse 8) 






Oh God my Father, from the little resources that I have I will be generous even though presently this is not easy, for this separation is costing me alot in both cash and emotional and psychological drain. Even though I am not at my top performance I am still required to perform at my best. I pray that You have mercy on me and my situation my God and Father Amen.  




⁹ So you will be laying up a good treasure for yourself against the day of necessity.



(The Book of Tobit Chapter 4 verse 9)



Oh God my beloved Father, as You yourself told us many items, that it is in giving that we receive. This does not mean that we give because we expect to receive as a right, but in order to bring happiness to others as an act of love. Amen 



¹⁰ For alms giving delivers from death and keeps you from going into the Darkness. ¹¹ Indeed alms giving, for all who practice it, is an excellent offering in the presence of the Most High.







(The Book of Tobit Chapter 4 verse 10) 



Oh God my beloved Father You have always taught me that true love is in giving and not in receiving, however, I have never been aware of the beauty and nobility of almsgiving Amen.  



¹¹ Indeed almsgiving, for all who practice it, is an excellent offering in the presence of the Most High.



(The Book of Tobit Chapter 4 verse 11)



Oh God my Father as You told us many times, it is in giving that we receive and that when we are contributing to the needs of others it is as if we are contributing to You my God and Father Amen.  




¹² " Beware, my son, of every kind of fornication. First of all, marry a woman from among the descendants of your ancestors; do not marry a foreign woman, who is not of your father's tribe; for we are the descendants of the prophets. Remember my son, that Noah, Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, our ancestors of old, all took wives from among their kindred. They were blessed in their children, and their posterity will inherit the land.



(The Book of Tobit Chapter 4 verse 12)



Oh God my Father I pray that we protect marriage by not getting mixed up or taking in marriage people of other cultures, for such traditions and beliefs may clash with our belief in You my God and Father and this causes spiritual harm. I pray that if possible we do not marry but remain focused on You may be our one and only focus of our life, and not be alienated by issues of the world as in marriage Amen.




¹³ So now, my son love your kindred, and in your heart do not disdain your kindred, the sons and daughters of your people, by refusing to take a wife for yourself from among them. For in pride there is ruin and great confusion. And in idleness there is loss and dire poverty, because idleness is the mother of famine.




(The Book of Tobit Chapter 4 verse 13)



Oh God my loving Father as You know there is a difference between what our heart tells us to what our mind tells us. Many times we rationalize an issue to make it look seemingly good and rational even though we might be aware that the issue in question is not according to the will of God my Father. In our attempt to find a plausible solution and satisfy our conscience we might be in favour of divorce, annulment or even separation as in my case, however on being honest with ourselves including myself who is now a separated person may not justify such an act spiritually, however when considering what I had previously experienced as a married person, I tend to half a different opinion holding the justification that in particular cases, it is positive for one to separate and start a new life Amen. I pray that You purify both my mind and my heart oh God my Father Amen.



¹⁴ "Do not keep over until the next day the wages of those who work for you, but pay them at once. If you serve God you will receive payment. Watch yourself, my son, in everything you do, and discipline yourself in all your conduct.


(The Book of Tobit Chapter 4 verse 14)




Oh God my Father we all seek justice in this world, we all stand up for what is rightfully ours, however when it comes to obligations the same cannot be said. Many people such as migrants are compelled to work in situations where the chance of being paid is from medium to low. In life if nobody appreciates what we do, we receive gratitude from You my God and Father Amen, Thank You Jesus. I pray that You help me reissues of self-control for I am still weak in this area since at times the flesh gets the better side of me Amen.


¹⁵ And what you hate, do not do to anyone. Do not drink wine to excess or let drunkenness go with you on your way.


(The Book of Tobit Chapter 4 verse 15)


Oh God, my Father, up to this day I have been trying to practice the golden rule that of not doing to others what I do not others to do to me. I pray that You continue giving me the grace to remain firm in my predicament Amen.


¹⁶ Give some of your food to the hungry, and some of your clothing to the naked. Give all your surplus as alms, and do not let your eye begrudge your giving of alms.



(The Book of Tobit Chapter 4 verse 16)



Oh God my Father all that we contribute to those in need is as if we are contributing to You, for You yourself told us that even when we go and see people in Jail or in the hospital or when we care for others it is as if we are doing that action to You. Therefore I pray that You give us victory over our selfish human nature that compels us to have more instead of to give more Amen.



¹⁷ Place your bread on the grave of the righteous, but give none to sinners.


(The Book of Tobit Chapter 4 verse 17)



Oh God my Father as a sinner myself I make no discrimination for we are all sinners Amen.


¹⁸ Seek advice from every wise person and do not despise any useful counsel. ¹⁹ At all times bless the Lord God, and ask him that your ways be made straight and that all your paths and plans may prosper. For none of the nations has understanding but the Lord himself will give them good counsel; but if he chooses otherwise, he casts down, to deepest Hades. So now, my child remember these commandments, and do not let them be erased from your heart. 


(The Book of Tobit Chapter 4 verses 18 to 19) 




Oh God my Father, all wisdom and knowledge has its roots in You. You have control over all that is happening in the world, and in all that is taking place in my little world. All happens according to Your will, therefore may Your will be done now and forever, I place all my issues before You my God and Father with full trust and hope.



May Your will be done! Amen.


²⁰  "And now, my son, let me explain to you that I left ten talents of silver in trust with Gabael son of Gabrias, at Rages in Media. ²¹ Do not be afraid, my son, because we have become poor. You have great wealth if you fear God and flee from every sin and do what is good in the sight of the Lord your God."


 (The Book of Tobit Chapter 4 verses 20 to 21)



Oh God my Father in the eyes of the world I know that I am not popular or attractive, however my aim has never been that of being popular in the eyes of man but only to be loved and approved by You my God and Father Amen. I am not bothered by what the world thinks of me, for many people tend to focus on my weaknesses and mistakes instead of on the strengths that You have given me Amen.


Dear Father in Heaven and even on earth, I would like to end this reflection on the fourth chapter of the book of Tobit with the following prayer Amen:-



Heavenly Father I pray for the gift of the Holy Spirit, that I may be always guided and protected by You in all situations. I thank You for being my champion and saviour Amen. May Your will be done in all the situations of my life. May You take full control and protect me against negative forces Amen.


  

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment